Monday, June 4, 2012

120604

I've been away for a while. When I found out that I was having spinal surgery I got a little depressed. The doctor said I couldn't work out exactly the way I wanted anymore and that kinda bummed me out. I actually felt sorry for myself for about 2 minutes. However, I'm realigned and squared away again. Thanks to everyone for the words of encouragement via messages, emails, phone calls, etc.
I went to the beach last week. The in-laws took Sarabeth and I down to Orange Beach. It was a nice little vacation. I definitely had time to re-evaluate my situation while I was there. I was very jealous of Sara. We took a set of bumper weights, her bar, a kettle bell, and a 20# medicine ball for her to use while we were there. She woke up every morning and performed a solid workout in the parking lot of the condo complex. Of course, everyone else staying there thought she was crazy. At one point she was using the side of my truck as a wall for handstand pushups. She was also using the tailgate for box jumps. That was one heck of a high box. Easily 36 inches, at least. She is so dedicated. In any case, all I could do was sit and watch. I wanted to participate so badly. I finally had to stop watching. I spent most of my time during daylight hours on the beach reading Clive Cussler novels. I love his books. I managed to keep the pain in my left leg at bay thanks to anti-inflammatories, Lortab, and a few Bud Lights. My doctor also prescribed me a dose pack of steroids to keep the swelling down. Sara told me it would work well, but would be temporary. She was right. It worked very well, and had my pain all but stamped out. However, I finished the pack Friday. It's Monday and my pain is already seeping back in. Luckily I only have to endure it for a few more days.
I am scheduled for my presurgical testing today at 1230. Hopefully everything will check out alright and they will give the green light for surgery Thursday. People keep asking me if I am anxious about the surgery. My answer is an overwhelming "No". I am ready to have the procedure and get on with my life. I am ready to get back to a pain-free state and see what I am able to do in the gym. Unfortunately, the weeks since I hurt myself have probably set me back to my beginning state, as I feel I have gained a few pounds of chunkiness and lost some strength. I feel certain that I will get it back, and that this is just a set back I must deal with.
My major goal right now is to be able to walk without pain by June 25. June 26 is our wedding anniversary. I have booked a surprise trip for Sara and I for the 25th through the 28th. It had to be a quick trip due to her work schedule, as she has an internship at DCH all summer. She knows we are going somewhere...she just doesn't know where. I'm going to try to keep it a secret until the day we leave. I think it will be more fun that way. In any case, that is only 2.5 weeks after my surgery. I don't want my back to limit us on our trip, so I am so focused on being able to walk a decent amount by that time that I don't have time to be anxious about the procedure. Sarabeth is much more nervous about it that I am. I would do it today if I could.
I will update again before the surgery. Afterwards I am going to try to give a play by play rundown of everything that is going on with my body in the hopes that it will benefit someone else down the line. Thanks for reading!




3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep rockin'. I assume Sara doesn't read this blog...? If so, your surprise skills suck :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. No, she reads the blog. She knows we are going somewhere. She just doesn't know where and I don't intend on spilling the beans on the location until I have to.

    ReplyDelete