Wednesday, May 2, 2012

120503

Good Lord. Do not attempt to go to Wings U in Midtown Village and order something even remotely healthy. I ended up with a shrimp cocktail and a small basket of sweet potato fries. My mother-in-law looks across the Tavel at me and says, " Well, that's not like you." it is now.
Speaking of food, I'm extremely hungry. Quick post before a snack. The training program I am following (and that hopefully you are following with me) has a 3 on, 1 off, 2 on, 1 off type of training week. This means our rest days always fall on Thursdays and Sundays. This is how we will normally operate. However, since this is my first few days I am going to forgo the Thursday rest day and try to stick it out until Sunday. As such, tomorrow's WOD (workout of the day) will be a double of benchmarks that we still owe for my first week and a quick MetCon (metabolic conditioning) borrowed from my buddies at Crossfit Tuscaloosa. The workout is as follows:
*Benchmark*
-Establish 1 rep max of clean and jerk
-Establish mile run time
*Rest sufficiently, then*
-Complete as many rounds and reps as possible (AMRAP) in 15 minutes of the following:
15 burpees
150 meter run
15 front squats @95# / 65# for women
Let me leave you with this neat video featuring my wife, Sarabeth, and the other top 2 female competitors at the time from the Crossfit Southeast Regionals this past weekend in West Palm Beaxh, FL. This video was filmed by crossfit.com and placed on their main site as a demo for that days workout (the one you see them doing in the video). I thought it was pretty cool. It's still there in their site if you want to check it out under the workout from Saturday April 28. HERE YOU GO

*****My Results*****
- My single rep max clean and jerk ended up at 165#. I could have gone higher, but my left shoulder started hurting. I'm not trying to injure myself, so I stopped there. I believe I could have put up 175, maybe a little more.

- My mile run was actually not a mile. It was actually closer to 1600 meters. I did not have a track readily accessible, so I just kinda had to make do with what I knew was approximately 1600 meters. It was raining. I ended up with a time of 8:42. That is one of the slowest miles I have ever run. It was probably because, in the back of my mind, I knew I had a pretty rough workout coming afterwards. I wasn't really all that taxed after the run. I probably could have shaved a minute off the time.

-Oh, the MetCon. That was rough. There was nowhere to hide from it. Burpees are one of my worst workouts, as I am fairly tall, fairly heavy, and very out of shape. The front squats also present a specific problem. They bind your upper body and close your lungs off somewhat. It is very difficult to breath through them. I had to break them into sets of 5. I finished the workout by getting through 3 full rounds, then an additional 9 burpees. I had to lay down afterwards.

Good luck to anyone doing this wokout today! I'll write back later!

1 comment: