Wednesday, May 16, 2012

120516

I have a new appreciation for Thursday and Sunday. Not that they weren't already fine examples of days of the week. Thursday has always been one of my favorites. This probably originated my freshman year of college when we had mixers at my fraternity house on Thursday nights in the fall. Any time a bunch of sorority girls come to your house to party is a good night. Later Thursday became the home of thirsty Thursdays at the Birmingham Barons games. Cheap wings and beer are good things. Sunday is, in the Christian faith, the Lord's day. A day to go to church, eat well, and lay around the house with your family. Sundays are so lazy. It is also a good thing.

Fast forward to May of 2012. Thursdays and Sundays are now rest days on our Outlaw programming. I need these days. By the time they come around my body is so beat that I can't hardly function. After today's workouts I need my rest day even more than usual.

BARBELL GYMNASTICS
-7x1 3 Count Snatch.
Notes: This is designed to work on your form. It should not be heavy unless your snatch form is perfect. Mine isn't. I doubt yours is either. Start light and work your way up. See Crossfit.com for a video on how to complete these. Its basically a full snatch from the ground, then a full snatch from below your knees, then a hang snatch from your thighs. All this without dropping the bar. This counts as one rep.

STRENGTH
1a) 3 x Max Effort Bench Press @ 95%
2a) 3 x 8 Good Mornings @ heavy

CONDITIONING
- 4 rounds for time of:
30 Front Squat @ 115#/95#
15 Toes to Bar
15 Lateral Box Jumps
Notes: Front squats come off the floor, not a rack. Lateral Box Jumps are simply sideways box jumps, onto the top of the box. Full extension at the top and off the other side.

***** MY RESULTS *****

BARBELL GYMNASTICS
- This was the first time I had done these 3 position snatches. I went light as I am still working on my snatch form. I used the following weights: 65, 85, 95, 105, 105, 105, 105

STRENGTH
1a) I used 185# on the bench. Did sets of 3, 2, and 4. Each of these were to failure.
2a) I used 135# for the Good Mornings. These are meant to simulate and strengthen deadlifts. I was afraid to go heavier with my bad back. These were sufficiently stressing. Ill probably go a little heavier next time.

CONDITIONING
- Yikes. This workout was horrible. Front squats are one of my worst movements. Its just so hard to breathe during them. I started the workout at the prescribed weight, but dropped to 95# after the first round. This was tough enough. It took me 30:32 to complete this workout. My first goal was to keep it under 40 minutes. Once I got moving I felt like 8 minutes a round was more than sufficient, so I tried to finish in under 32 mins. I accomplished this goal. Sarabeth did the same weight as me (95#) and finished in less than 15 minutes. She is ridiculous. I'm average. See you Friday!

No comments:

Post a Comment